Who is responsible for keeping our kids safe online?
We are constantly hearing news about the dangers of the internet for our children. We are hearing about online predators, depression in children as a result of cyber bullying, body image, and too much time spent online. The recent Late Late Show held yet another discussion about online safety for our kids. We all know by now that we have a serious issue on our hands, but who really is responsible for keeping our kids safe online?
- Telecommunication companies?
- Large internet service providers like Google, Facebook and Amazon?
We are responsible
Government, Online service providers, Schools, etc all have their part to play, but really, it is up to us as parents to keep our kids safe online. They are our kids and we must do our job to educate and protect them until they are old enough to do it for themselves.
Should we just ban Smartphones?!
When there are new problems, there are often knee-jerk reactions! There have been numerous recent calls to government to ban the use of smartphones by kids under 14. Is that really the answer?
The Internet is a superb educational resource. Unfortunately it is also being abused by online predators, bullies and even our own children who are on the web for too long and often unsupervised. But blocking children from accessing the Internet is not the answer.
Why not just follow 3 simple steps instead?
- 👨🏻💻 Educate yourself – Our parent hub will help you learn about what kids are up to these days online and keep you up to date!
- 👨👩👧👦 Talk to your kids – Educate your kids about what is appropriate and what is not when they’re online.
- 💡 Use iKydz – Set some boundaries for your kids when they’re online; limit the time that they’re online and decide what they can view and where they can go.
From a great article by RTE Science & Technology Correspondent, Will Goodbody:
“Because when it comes to internet safety, in reality the best person to ensure your child remains safe is that child, and by extension you as their parent (and to a degree their teachers).
Through education and supervision from an early age, we can and should be teaching our children how to behave responsibly online, how to protect their privacy, what it is appropriate to share, how it isn’t a good idea to interact with strangers online, etc.”
Read the full article here
iKydz is the solution for parents…
With iKydz, parents can:
- Block and filter content
- Block social media apps
- Schedule or restrict internet access
- Schedule social media access
- Shutdown internet for specific devices
- View online history
- Report on online activity and time spent online
iKydz is a simple smart device and app that lets you easily manage all internet security and safety for your kids both at home and when they are mobile.
- Single smart device & app; one simple smart device & one app that let you manage all other connected devices in your home
- Easy to use; plug iKydz into your home router & download the app to your phone. No technical knowledge required.
- Manage all devices from your phone; control internet access & content to every device; phones, tablets, gaming consoles, TVs. All from your phone from anywhere in the world.
- Tamper-proof; kids are tech-savvy so we’ve made iKydz tamper-proof. There is no way around it.
You do not need to be a computer genius to use iKydz. Our support team will give you everything you need to protect your children while they use the Internet.
If you would like more information on our device, fill in your email below and we will contact you with information.